French Press style coffee is a very pure method of brewing coffee. It allows unrestricted contact between the coffee and water giving a very consistent extraction. Because you are using such a coarse grind, the brew time should be between 4 and 5 minutes.
- Always start with fresh roasted coffee and clean, freshly drawn water. It's a good idea to pre-warm your French press before you brew. Discard that water before your actual brew.
- Grind the coffee beans just prior to brewing. You want a fairly coarse grind to keep sediment to a minimum.
- Add the ground coffee to your pre-warmed vessel. We suggest 2 tablespoons (8 grams) of coffee for every 5 oz (660 mL) of water.
- Add 3/4 of the heated water, making sure all the grounds are saturated. Cover for two minutes but do not press the plunger.
- After 2 minutes, add the remaining 1/4 water and stir gently to ensure all the coffee is completely saturated.
- Wait an additional two minutes, then press the plunger gently and evenly until the coffee is compressed completely at the bottom. Pour and enjoy!
It is normal to have some sediment at the bottom of your cup.